Lincoln Athletics – Updated 9/2/20
Lincoln Fall Sports Families,
Earlier today, the AIA Executive Board approved the updated Sports Medicine Advisory Committee’s recommendations to return-to-play for fall sports. This means that the fall season of athletics will be played.
Updated guidelines provided by the SMAC along with the original return-to-play guidelines will be posted on www.azpreps365.com within the next few days.
All high school game schedules are currently being updated under the new season timelines and will be posted to the above mentioned AZPreps365 site as soon as they are completed. Similarly, all GHMSL game schedules are being created and will be shared with Head Coaches of each sport late next week.
All Head Coaches will communicate sport-specific updates in their weekly emails.
MIDDLE SCHOOL SPORTS – Registration for fall sports is now closed.
HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS – Registration for fall sports is now closed.
High School Athletics
First Practice – Aug. 24 (Mon./Thurs.: 5:45am-7:10am LP Field, Tues.: 4:30pm-6:00pm @ Discovery Park).
First Competition – Sept. 9
Championships – Nov. 12-13
Swim & Dive
First Practice – Aug. 24th – First week of practice will be dry land training only as we continue to search for a practice facility. First practice will be Monday, Aug. 24th from 4:00pm-5:30pm in the Lincoln Prep gym.
First Competition – Sept. 14
Championships – Nov. 5-7
First Practice – Aug. 31 @ 5:00pm in the Lincoln Prep Gym
First Competition – Sept. 21
Championships – Nov. 12-21
First Practice – Sept. 7
First Competition – Sept. 30-Oct. 3
Championships – TBD (1A-3A conferences are discussing possibilities for the length of the season and when state championships will be held – Lincoln Prep is in the 1A).
These new dates have directly impacted our 2020-2021 Lincoln game schedules/competitions and will likely continue to do so as schools decide what is best for their communities. Please know that once we feel our schedules are set we will post them here on our site and we will have our coaches send out email updates. You must be registered online to receive coach emails.
Middle School Athletics
Cross Country – Practices are held: Mon., at 5:30am-7:00am @ Lincoln Field, Tues., at 4:00pm-5:30pm @ Discovery Park & Thurs., at 5:30am-7:00am @ Lincoln Field.
Golf – First practice is Tuesday, Sep. 1st from 4:00pm-5:30pm at San Marcos Golf Club (100 N. Dakota Street, Chandler). Please meet on the back patio of the clubhouse.
Volleyball – PLEASE NOTE THE NEW DATES/TIMES for the first week of practice – All 7th & 8th graders will practice on Monday, Aug. 31 & Tuesday, Sep. 1st from 3:30pm-5:00pm. All 5th & 6th graders will practice on Thursday, Sept. 3rd & Friday, Sep. 4th from 3:30pm-5:00pm. Pick-up is at the Southeast gym door.
Flag Football – First practice is set for Sept. 8th on the Lincoln Field from 3:30pm-5:00pm.
Please know that Lincoln Prep and GHs schools do not make any “cuts” in Middle School sports. All kids are welcome and encouraged to learn new skills, or improve already existing skills. The first week of practices is typically used to gauge student skill level and then assign each student-athlete to a team. We will create as many teams as needed, i.e. A team (akin to Varsity), B team (JV), C team (Freshman).
Registration & General Notes
If your student-athlete is interested in participating please use the following link to register online: Register My Athlete. Registration helps the athletic department determine how many students to plan for in each sport – you are not required to pay at this time.
Please print the 2020-2021 AIA Physical (used for 5th-12th graders) and schedule your student’s physical with either your family physician, CVS, Walgreens or Urgent Care.
We understand this is a challenging time and that it may be difficult in deciding to allow your student(s) to participate in extra-curricular athletics. Please know that much thought and consideration has gone into the processes by which we (Lincoln Prep and GreatHearts) will operate all athletic practices and competitions this fall and throughout the duration of the school year. Below are just a few of the most pressing guidelines administrators, coaches, student-athletes, parents and fans will need to abide by and/or understand in order to participate this 2020-2021 school year:
- All AIA Physicals must be completed (date of completion must be after March 1st, 2020) and submitted along with the online registration by the deadlines above. *An additional COVID 19 permission slip will be required for participation as well – this will be sent home the first day of practice.
- All school Administrators/Coaches are required to take a COVID 19 Educational Course provided by the NFHS.
- Coaches and students will have their temperatures taken and recorded prior to the start of each practice/competition. Any individual who shows a temperature of 100 degrees or higher will be tested a second and third time. If the temperature remains at 100 degrees or above the individual will be asked to head to the nurses office (if on campus) or to the nearest shaded area (if outside) while their parent(s)/guardian(s) are contacted.
- All Coaches must wear a face mask while coaching and within six feet of another person. Student-athletes are not required to wear face masks but may do so if they wish.
- Coaches and students will be required to wash their hands prior to, throughout and after practices/games. Hand sanitizer, soap and water and paper towels will be provided.
- All footballs, volleyballs, basketballs, chairs and other equipment that can be exchanged and/or touched by more than one person will be sanitized before, during and after practices and competitions.
- Student-athletes must bring their own, filled water bottles to practice. We recommend bringing as many bottles as possible.
- Student-athletes must keep their belongings (bags with practice clothing and shoes) in a small bag in their own, personal locker as the locker rooms will not be used to store any personal belongings. The only exception to this rule is HS Football who will store their pads in the weight room.
- After school, coaches or an administrator will monitor the locker rooms allowing students to change in shifts. The locker rooms and bathrooms will be separated by MS (5th-8th) and HS (9th-12th) as has been done in the past.
- Off-campus sports (Golf, Swim, Cross-Country) may have additional requirements as we are subject to the rules of the facilities where we compete and practice.
Please note this list is not exhaustive of all steps we have taken or are taking in order to conduct athletic competition this fall and school year. More information will be posted as it arrives and coaches will communicate directly to their teams should circumstances change.
Lastly, we do have a need for coaches in the following sports: MS Flag Football (Assistant Coach), MS Golf (Head Coach), HS Football (Assistant Coach). If you have playing experience and a passion for one of the above sports and are interested in helping our student-athletes learn to love the game, please reach out to Athletic Director, Jenn Bradley: email@example.com
We thank you for your patience as we navigate through this unique situation.
Stay healthy. GO LIGHTNING!